a junk ceramic insulator ( the brown one which is widely used on electric poles) lying at a junk shop caught my attention .
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins (+cooling time)
Ingredients (16-18 pieces)
- 12 -15 organic tender Taro leaves (Arvi ke patte)
- 2 cups gram flour ( besan)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp nigella seeds ( kalonji )
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds ( ajwain)
- 2 tsp lemon juice (or 1/2 tsp dry mango powder / tamarind pulp )
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste (pref fresh)
- Chopped green chillies (to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
Wash and pat dry the taro leaves and keep aside.
In a large bowl mix together chickpea flour, spices, lemon juice and water to make a thick paste.
Place a leaf(vein side up) on the kitchen counter or chopping board and smear the chickpea paste generously.
Place another taro leaf (with end pointing in the opposite direction that the previous one) over it and spread the paste.
Repeat the process to form a stack of 5-6 leaves. Roll tightly .
Make a similar roll with rest of the leaves.
Steam cook for 20 mins in a steamer or pressure cooker.
Remove from heat and cool completely.
Heat a few drops of oil in a pan ,add sesame seeds and shallow fry the spirals from both the sides till crisp.
Serve hot with lemon wedges and green chutney.
( To freeze the rolls- line the cool rolls in a large tray in single layer and place in the freezer for an hour, once hard remove from tray and pack in ziplock bags . Keeps well for upto 3 months. Thaw and shallow fry the frozen rolls before serving. )
Baked Mango Yogurt
- 150 ml yogurt
- 150 gm cream ( I used Amul 25%milk fat)
- (Fresh or heavy will also work fine)
- 150 gms condensed milk
- 2 tbsp mango puree
- few drops of mango flavouring (opt)
- 1 Banana sliced
- Few black grapes (halved)
- A strip of mango aamras or fruit leather
- Some chocolate Vermicelli
1.Whisk together yogurt , mango puree & flavouring till well blended.
2.Mix in cream and condensed milk . Pour in small ramekins or bowls.
3.Preheat oven to 160 C.
4. Pour a cup of water in an oven safe dish and place the ramekins on the tray
(this method of baking called bain-marie or water bath prevents the top from cracking or forming a hard crust)
5.Bake for 14-15 mins or till the yogurt mixture is set .
6. Cool. Refrigerate for 30-35 mins .For making Minions
Just before serving , place 2 slices of banana and grapes for eyes,
a strip of aamras/fruit leather for spectacles
and some chocolate vermicelli for hair.